Do you know the current COVID-19 statistics?
- 46% of the hospitalizations and 84% of the deaths in Allegheny County have been people age 70 and older.
- People who are immunocompromised, including hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease, heart conditions, and cancer are most susceptible to severe complications.
- That in Pennsylvania, 0.5% of the deaths have been people 25 to 40 years old and 0% have been below 25 years old.
- That CDC has updated their website showing that the survivability of the coronavirus on surfaces is “exceedingly small”, minimizing the risk of getting the virus from surfaces.
- Use of Remdesivir (anti-viral medication) and Dexamethasone (steroid medication that calms the immune system overreaction) have improved the outcome of severe COVID-19 cases tremendously.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech Phase 3 vaccine trial is showing promising results with a 90% effectiveness in recently published data. Emergency FDA approval will enable use in the general public as soon as December. This vaccine has some cold storage challenges.
- The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine is also nearing completion with published results expected soon. This vaccine does not have the storage challenges (-94 degrees) of the Pfizer vaccine, as it is stored at more normal refrigeration of 35-46 degrees.
Do you know what Christ Church at Grove Farm is doing to keep its congregation and visitors safe in this season?
- That CCGF, like all religious institutions, is excluded from the meeting size limitations instituted by Governor Wolf yet has in place both a comprehensive seating plan during services and facilities usage plan for other meetings and gatherings in order to maintain proper social distancing.
- That CCGF has set up COVID-19 safety protocols that meet and exceed CDC, state, and local guidelines.
- For weekly worship services, CCGF practices and encourages everyday preventive actions including proper social distancing, wearing of masks when entering and leaving the service, washing of hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and encouraging use of hand sanitizer.
- That at CCGF each pew in the sanctuary not roped off, has a “Joshua 1:9 stick” to remind everyone of the proper social distancing from other people who are not from their household.
- That there is a section of socially distanced seating offered during each service in which everyone must wear their mask at all times so those wishing to have this extra precaution can participate in live worship.
- That CCGF continues to sanitize the pews and surfaces throughout the Sanctuary, Commons, and restrooms before each service.
- CCGF has offered livestream church services throughout the entire pandemic to allow all members, attenders, and guests to participate in both worship choices. Even with the church reopening, the livestream options have continued to provide alternatives to folks who feel unsafe, are older, or immunocompromised.