Many parents with children who have special needs have struggled to find ways to invest in their church families and to find a secure and understanding body that is willing to listen and support their needs as well as the needs of their children. God has laid it on our hearts and minds to work through a process to provide that kind of hope within Family Ministries here at Christ Church. We have seen and experienced the family joy and struggles that come with having a family with atypical children and circumstances. We would like to partner with you, to support you and your child we want you to become a vibrant and included part of our church family.
Who we are
We are parents, professionals, and people with servant hearts who have come together to provide a classroom and a support team that will be able to support children and parents toward a growing understanding and following of God’s Word and Jesus Himself.
Why we exist
We are here to come alongside individuals, and families to support the integration of individuals with cognitive, behavioral, or physical differences. We offer support, education, and modifications to the environment or ministry functions to allow for inclusion.
Helping Heart’s mission is two-fold. First, to allow kids ages (5-11) with special needs to engage and experience God in a way that is interactive and designed to connect with them. Second, to support and allow parents to grow and develop spiritually, intimately, and confidently in Jesus Christ also with their child and each other.
What we offer currently
1. We currently offer at the 11:15 service on Sunday mornings a safe and encouraging environment design specifically with the atypical child in mind. Staffed with caring and loving volunteers we are offering a time for your child to hear about the love of God with a curriculum designed just for them. While this is taking place our desire is that you as parents will be able to attend the worship service and be ministered to as well.
2. We have a buddy! This is a person who will be available and willing to go to typical classrooms and worship services to support and make the experience of being exposed to Jesus and His word enjoyable and understandable.
3. We are creating a parent support small group. This is designed to encourage, energize, support, and challenge your faith and allow you to walk with others who have shared some of the similar experiences that you have. In other words, we want you to know that you are not alone in this walk, you are loved entirely, not just in parts that “fit”, and that God desires a relationship with you as well as your children.
Scripture reassures us, “No one who trusts God like this—heart and soul—will ever regret it.” It’s exactly the same no matter what a person’s ethnic or cultural background may be: the same God for all of us, acting the same incredibly generous way to everyone who calls out for help. “Everyone who calls, ‘Help, God!’ gets help.” But how can people call for help if they don’t know who to trust? And how can they know who to trust if they haven’t heard of the One who can be trusted? And how can they hear if nobody tells them? And how is anyone going to tell them, unless someone is sent to do it? …….. The point is: Before you trust, you have to listen. But unless Christ’s Word is preached, there’s nothing to listen to.
Romans 10:11-17 MSG
1. To engage families who have children with special needs to feel accepted, included, and valued.
2. To reach students with special needs with the Gospel love of Jesus Christ in a way that they can embrace.
3. To support parents in developing competencies and developing strategies to grow their marriage, their family, their support systems, and their investment in the church body.
Who works in the room
We follow all state, federal and local applicable laws that apply to the classroom, including clearances, trainings, mandated reporting, cleaning, and safety checks on equipment and environment. All persons in the room have passed clearances and have been trained in the function, mission, and expectations of the environment of the room to make it as safe and enjoyable for the children and parents who entrust our children into our care.
How can you be involved
We would hope that you would continue to engage with us weekly and support the independence of your child by attending church and growth education small groups. You need refreshed too! If you are interested in helping, we can have candid conversations and explain the expectations of all of those who serve in this environment and ministry. This ministry is larger than just a “special needs room”. We desire to support the whole family.
Expectations and Policies
If you are willing to try Helping Hearts, we thank you and hope to meet your expectations through Christ. Please fill out the online questionnaire below, or download a form here.
Our Leadership team
Doug and Dorinda Taylor
Pastor Mike Koepfer
Pastor Jamie Kendrew
We look forward to the privilege of working with you and your family. God bless you
for more information please contact us at: email@example.com
Or you can call Pastor Jamie Kendrew at 412-741-4900 ext.119